Brace yourself for a long post,as I try to cover hair problems I faced as much as I can in this article.If you still want illustration on any to leave a comment below or you can mail me at email@example.com
Now,in my late teenage years I got a bit concerned about my hair care routine..thanks to those luscious locks shown in advertisements..the wide range hair products like conditioners.leave on's,serums, gels etc made me super curious.
I had my first "fashionable hair cut" (read-steps) when I just entered college! my stylist had a hard time working on my tresses as she told that I had super dry , freezy and totally unmanageble hair and suggested me to use a conditioner regularly after my shampooing.
So,started all the trial and errors
For last 6 years I tried to figure out what worked on me.what was actually my hair type etc (trust me my hair has awfull mood swings which took me so long).
let me not stretch this blah blah more and get into the topic...
My hair type- Dry at ends.oily at scalp
My hair texture- wavy with some curls.has tendency of freezy-ness
Dandruff- Present.both oily and dry type.
Split ends- Present
Hair fall- Present
Scalp acne- I get them sometimes.
HOW TO DEAL WITH
#1. Oily scalp/dry hair
This is perhaps the most difficult hair type and many of Indian women have to face it.Thanks to the hot and humid climatic conditions.
Points to keep in mind-->
- Do not go for shampoo + conditioner combo's- Shampoo and conditioner has different functions in hair care.If you are having combination hair type like mine,stay away from such stuffs
- Choose your shampoo and conditioner --having oily scalp does not mean using a strong shampoo and wash everyday. you may feel your scalp is clean and fresh but actually you are doing more harm than good.It only makes your scalp to produce more sebum sensing the dryness. Invest in a mild gel/water based shampoo than a cream one. Wash your hair on alternate days or at a gap of 2 days. If you have really oily hair then you can consider washing everyday.But do not go for 2 rinses everyday.When choosing conditioner,choose one for daily use, that is,try not to go for those for heavily damaged hair but just for dry hair. Do not use the conditioner on the hair of your scalp but only on the ends.I would like to stress on this fact most.
#2. Wavy/curly hair
One of the major problem faced by me was the wavy and curly hair pattern. This type of hair tends to attract moisture from the atmosphere making it freezy.So,make sure to invest in a good hair serum which aims to controls freeze. I do not have much fancy for straight hair .So,in order to maintain my curls,without much damage this is what i follow
- apply conditioner always after shampooing.only to hair ends
- follow up by using a hair serum on towel dry hair
- I NEVER use a hair dryer,whatever rush I have. I allow my hair to dry naturally
- Cut hair according to type- Some may find this boring,but I always stick to my layers in steps..and it works for me.
- Unless needed DO NOT keep your hair open.at home try to keep it tied in a loose bun/plaits
#3 . Dandruff
I totally dread this one.more than being an embarrasement It's the cause of major scalp and hair problems..be it hair fall,scalp acne,itchy scalp,buildups..etc...
Oily dandruff- is more like to adhere to your scalp
dry dandruff- can be easily scratched off your scalp and are present as visible white flakes on your hair and shoulders etc
What I like to say..
- Anti dandruff shampoo- Consult your dermatologist to go for a medicated shampoo which aims on treating dandruff rather than just "dho-dala" one's.look for shampoos with ketoconazole,selenium oxide or Zinc pyrithione. Dandruff otherwise will be comming back no matter what. If you want to go for brands,choose one best suited for your scalp type .Do not use anti dandruff shampoos daily as they have a tendency to rip of natural oils from your hair,which may worsen the condition.
- Ozone treatement- a few sittings in salon helps to minimize dandruff a lot
- Lemon-Lemon juice applied on scalp along with some warm coconut oil is the best home remedy not only for dandruff but laso for other scalp problems like itching and hair fall.
- Remember dandruff is dermatitis of scalp which stays throughout the year but with visible exacerbation in winters.treat it throughout year
#4 . Split ends
Trichoptilosis/split ends are more common in women with long hair..as we donot trim our hair on regular intervals.
So make sure,
- to trim your hair ends atleast once in 3 months..just the ends
- do not keep your hair open-this allows more surface of hair to remain prone to damage like rubbing (for eg.pillows) and resulting in breakage
- brush your hair gently
- remove tangles with a comb with far setted bristles
- if you have long hair,tie it up in plaits at bed time.I do this regularly and often round up the end and put the rubber band
- .Do not use plastic rubber bands.
#5 . Hair fall
- other than following all above steps.take care of your diet. drink water and seasonal fruits
- if needed on consultation of your doctor you can take biotin supplements/vitamin e capsules
- once a week/two weeks -go for a hot oil treatement at home,one hour before shampooing.Massage your scalp to increase blood circulation.
#6. Scalp acne
- Avoiding oily products is a good preventative measure against scalp acne.
- Styling products sometimes contain oils that can aggravate acne. Styling products can also contain other irritating ingredients. If you’re battling with some scalp acne, try forgoing your usual styling products for a week or two and see if that helps clear you up.
- Some hair conditioners also contain heavy humectants which can irritate acne-prone skin.
- Use a gentle shampoo for your hair and not using conditioner for a week or two and see if that helps.
- For severe cases consult your dermatologist for medication,which may include topical as well as oral drugs in form of antibiotics,antifungals,antihistamines etc
now as I have seen some of you have complemented on my hair I would like to share some more tips and products am currently using and which have worked for me.
- Dove Daily therapy shampoo
- The Body Shop Banana Shampoo
- Dove daily therapy conditioner
- The Body Shop Banana Conditioner
- The Body Shop Rainforest hair butter - as a part of my home hair spa
Anti dandruff shampoo-
- Ketoconazole shampoo
- Head and shoulders anti dandruff shampoo
- The Bdy Shop Ginger anti dandruff shampoo
Henna - for color and/or deep conditioning,once in two months
- Lush Henna caca Brun and Marron
- Herby Henna
Hope this post helped you in a small little way! feel free to drop in your doubts and feelings...
Please note- Images are sourced from google images archive.if anybody has any objection.let me know i will take them down.Information are sourced from my sole experience,what workes and what didn't on my hair type.Some information is taken from my text books and google archieve. Products recommended have been used by me.No one has paid me to suggest them.they have all been bought by my own hard earned money.